Thursday, February 9, 2012

January 2012 Prayer Letter for the Martins


Dear Praying Friends,

Greetings from 30,000 feet! As I write this letter, we are flying home from beautiful San Diego. When we left it was 77 degrees and sunny! However, I know that snow plus reality await us back in Chicago. For now, though, I’m going to enjoy this beautiful day.

Thank you for your continued prayers regarding our recovery. So many of you have e-mailed us or sent cards and letters. We feel so loved! Here’s a quick update. Jessica is doing much better. Her ribs seem to have just about completely healed. Her pain is very minimal and does not occur nearly as often as before. She has been cleared to resume normal activities and exercises. Amen! My leg is coming along slowly but as expected. I currently have therapy three times a week and am still non-weight-bearing. Lord willing, I will be able to start bearing weight in mid-February. I should be cleared to climb Machu Pichu by June!

January has been a good yet interesting month. It has been nice to spend some needed time at home. We have not only been able to spend some time with family; but we have also been able to get some needed work done, such as itemizing and packing our belongings, selling furniture, and studying Spanish. We were even able to see five precious people trust Christ.

Although we had to cancel four meetings this month, we were still able to be in two churches—both brand-new works! So exciting! One Sunday we were able to be in Lowell, Indiana, with Pastor Caleb Hon. Pastor Hon started his church just over one year ago. We were with them for their record-breaking Sunday, and break records they did! It is such an encouragement to see this church flourishing the way it is.

We also attended a missions conference in Yuma, Arizona, with my dear friend, Pastor Chad Matheny. Pastor Matheny pastors a church started by Dr. Joe Elwell just 2½ years ago. Over the last six months, they have more than doubled in attendance! Praise the Lord! It is such a blessing to see how God is using both him and his church to reach both Yuma and the world.

Starting churches is truly my passion. I have spent much time recently with church planters and in newly started churches. With each new church I see, the fire in my soul burns hotter. How I long to see churches continue to pop up across America and all of Peru.

Lord willing, that desire will come to fruition in June. I am thankful to the many of you who are making our dream a reality through your prayers and financial support. I would especially like to thank the Northeast Baptist Church in Connecticut for partnering with us this month. Each one of you have a huge part in the work which God has called us to, and because of you, we are at 82% of our needed support.

Please continue to keep us in your prayers. We have two weeks of meetings in February and an incredibly busy March. Pray that we will be able to attend all of these meetings to ensure we have all of our support by May. Also, remember my wife, as she not only deals with her own physical issues but must also help me with mine. On another note, three of our men are currently in Peru beginning our application process and searching for property and housing. Please pray that God continues to guide and open doors for them. I can’t wait to share some exciting reports with you in our next letter!

Your ambassadors to Peru,

Junior and Jessica Martin
Romans 9:3

No comments:

Post a Comment